Friday, March 1, 2013

Obafemi Martins keen on MLS move

Nigeria striker Obafemi Martins has revealed he is desperate to complete a move to MLS side Seattle Sounders.

The former Newcastle and Birmingham striker only joined La Liga side Levante in September 2012 after agreeing an early release from his contract at Russian club Rubin Kazan.

The 28-year-old made an immediate impact at the Ciutat de Valencia, netting the winner on his debut and going on to grab a further eight goals in 22 appearances for the club.

Levante are understandably reluctant to let the Nigerian leave, but MLS outfit Seattle are reportedly prepared to match the release clause in his contract.

When quizzed about the potential transfer Martins revealed he was keen on making the move Stateside and feels it is too good an offer for the club to turn down.

"I have a proposal for Seattle that is very good for me and for all. I hope Levante decide. I am not happy here because I was promised something that is not being met, so I want to leave now," he told Spanish radio station Cadena SER Valencia.

"It's a good deal for me, it is a good deal for everyone and it would be nice for my family to go to America.

"I came to Levante for very little money and they will receive more than what it cost to sign me, so it would be a good deal for Levante.

"I came for free and they will make money with me. Besides if I refer to those €3m [three million euros] clause, one is for me so it would be two for the club.

Sounders officials are believed to have flown to Spain to conclude the deal, with the MLS transfer window open until April.

Martins who began his career in Nigeria with FC Ebedei has played in Italy, England, Germany, Russia and Spain.


No comments:

Post a Comment