Sunday, February 3, 2013

Nigeria edge out favourites Ivory Coast to reach semis

Nigeria upset their West African neighbours and dumped favourites Ivory Coast out of the Africa Cup of Nations.

The Super Eagles were much the brighter side throughout the first half, with the star-studded Ivorians looking lethargic.

Emmanuel Emenike opened the scoring just before half-time, smashing a ferocious effort past Boubacar Barry in the Ivorian goal.

A rejuvenated Ivorian side equalised five minutes after the restart when Cheik Tioté's header from a free kick taken by Drogba, beat a slumbering Nigerian defence.

Both sides had chances but Sunday Mba conjured a piece of stunning individual brilliance, before smashing home the winner outside the area in the 78th minute.

Nigeria defended bravely to earn a hard-fought 2-1 victory over the Elephants in Rustenburg.

Ivory Coast captain Didier Drogba:

"It was a difficult game for us but we must congratulate Nigeria, they played extremely well.

"We have the World Cup qualifier ahead of us. We must pick ourselves up after this disappointment.

"I will give my best and if they [fans and journalists] don't want me, then I can leave."

Nigeria defender Kenneth Omeruo:

"It's a big day for us and we came up against a strong side in the Ivory Coast.

"A  lot of people didn't believe in us but we had self-belief.

"Drogba just said, good game, keep it up - that means a lot to me."

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi:

"I sincerely thank my players for everything they did today. I hope we can keep going to the final.

"Ivory Coast are the top team on the continent with lots of quality, so we tried to speed up and try to catch out players like Drogba and Yaya Toure.

"I'm glad my team is progressing in every game. There is great discipline in the team and I just hope we keep going that way.

"The boys showed character. When the Ivorians levelled we tried to defend and work out our tactics, and we scored again. Sunday came up with a beautiful, beautiful goal."

Ivory Coast coach Sabri Lamouchi:

"I'm proud of my players' work. I put forward the team I judged to be the best to pose problems to a good Nigeria side.

"Of course our aim was to win the title and for certain players this could be their last chance so, yes, there is disappointment in the dressing room.

"It's a great sadness for me as the players were working with one objective - to win this Nations Cup - but it proved not to be enough."

Highlights and Goals - Ivory Coast 1-2 Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment